What is Book Bingo? – Rules and explanation on reddit’s r/fantasy board.
Introduction to Book Bingo – Let’s Try Something New! – Intro to this blog mini series
Bingo Squares – Mini Reviews & Suggestion Lists
First Row Across (Hard Mode Complete!)
- Slice of Life / Small Scale Fantasy | HARD MODE: Read something other than Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers.
- Square Complete: The Miracles of Namiya General Store by Keigo Higashino (Hard Mode)
- Mini reviews: The Gray House by Mariam Petrosyan, The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers, & The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
- A SFF Novel Featuring a Character With a Disability | HARD MODE: Character must be a main protagonist, not a side character.
- Square Complete: Velocity Weapon by Megan O’Keefe (Hard Mode)
- Mini reviews: Deerskin by Robin McKinley, AURORA by Kim Stanley Robinson, & The Broken Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin
- SFF Novella | HARD MODE: Not published by Tor.com publishing.
- Square Complete: Walking to Aldebaran by Adrian Tchaikovsky (Hard Mode)
- Mini reviews: Silently and Very Fast by Cathrynne Valente, Los Nefilim by T. Frohock, This Census-Taker by China Mieville, The Only Harmless Great Thing by Brooke Bolander
- Self-Published SFF Novel | HARD MODE: Fewer than 50 ratings on Goodreads.
- Square Complete: Uncrowned by Will Wight (Hard Mode)
- SFF Novel Featuring Twins | HARD MODE: One of the twins must be a main protagonist.
- Square Complete: Among Others by Jo Walton (Hard Mode) – Review to Come
Second Row Across:
- Novel Featuring Vampires | HARD MODE: At least one main protagonist is a vampire.
- Square Complete: The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow (Easy Mode)
- Format: Graphic Novel or Audio Book | HARD MODE: New to you graphic novel -or- an audiobook over 25 hours long.
- SFF Novel by a Local to You Author | HARD MODE: The closest to you author you can find.
- Square Complete: The Warehouse by Rob Hart (Hard Mode)
- SFF Novel Featuring an Ocean Setting | HARD MODE: Over 50% of the book takes place in or on an ocean setting.
- Square Complete: The Bone Ships by RJ Barker (Hard Mode)
- Cyberpunk | HARD MODE: Not Neuromancer or Snow Crash.
- Square Complete: Permutation City by Greg Egan (Hard Mode)
Third Row Across:
- 2nd Chance | HARD MODE: No hard mode for this square.
- Afrofuturism | HARD MODE: Fewer than 1000 ratings on goodreads.
- Square Complete: Escaping Exodus by Nicky Drayden (Hard Mode)
- SFF Novel Published in 2019 | HARD MODE | Debut novel.
- Square Complete: The Resurrectionist of Caligo by Wendy Trimboli and Alicia Zaloga (Hard Mode)
- Middle Grade SFF Novel | HARD MODE: Do not use a re-read.
- A Personal Recommendation from r/Fantasy | HARD MODE: Do not use the most frequently recommended book.
- Square Complete: The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal (Hard Mode)
Fourth Row Across:
- Any r/fantasy Book Club Book of the Month OR r/fantasy Read-along Book | HARD MODE: Participate in the discussion threads during a current discussion.
- Square Complete: Vita Nostra by Marina and Sergey Dyachenko (Hard Mode)
- Media Tie-In Novel | HARD MODE: Not Star Wars.
- Square Complete: The Deep by Rivers Solomon, Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, and Jonathan Snipes (Hard Mode)
- Novel Featuring an AI Character | HARD MODE: AI is a main protagonist.
- Square Complete: The Stone in the Skull by Elizabeth Bear (Hard Mode)
- Title of Four or More Words | HARD MODE: Seven word title.
- Square Complete: This is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone (Hard Mode)
- Retelling | HARD MODE: Not based on a myth or folklore. Must be a previous published work.
Fifth Row Across:
- SFF Novel by an Australian Author | HARD MODE: Self-published or from a small press.
- The Final Book of a Series | HARD MODE: Published over a decade ago.
- #OwnVoices | HARD MODE: Author and protagonist share two or more marginalized identities.
- Square Complete: The Poppy War by R. F. Kuang (Hard Mode)
- LitRPG | HARD MODE: Female author.
- Five SFF Short Stories | HARD MODE: Read an anthology or collection.
- Square Complete: The Unicorn Anthology edited by Peter S. Beagle and Jacob Weisman (Hard Mode)